Thursday 1 November 2007

What I did on my holidays... (except missed two weeks of college)

3 weeks ago I disappeared to turkey (lucky me) and completely neglected my college work. I do regret that but the holiday was worth it despite being last minute and extremely stressful. I'll try to keep this short but to the point

Right so getting to the airport was fun... MEGA BUS!!! It wasn't that bad, it was a nice relaxed bus trip. I really enjoyed it. Now comes about 3 o clock when we got to the airport, that's when the fun started. I tell you, travelers are so horrible and rude I'm surprised people can fly constantly with the way these people were. People were walking into each other, cursing, swearing... there was even a wife beating her husband with her bag (poor him). Anyway we spent all day in this giant concrete block to be placed on a giant metal tube full of dentist chairs. This is what the plane looked like to me. It was filthy and smelt sooo bad.

The flight was groovy, it was my first time flying. I loved the rush of taking off, that was quite fun. The general flight itself was dire... I couldn't be bothered forking out for headphones to watch Shrek The Third (which isn't that good anyway.)

So we arrived at 4am and got automatically chucked onto a bus. Sat and travelled in the dark for 2 hrs to arrive at Marmaris' Club Turquoise. Lovely little hotel with a pool and a bar. Not big by any means but definitely very nice. Next thing I done... SLEPT!!!

Right so the next few days there was nothing to report. I sat at the pool side getting to know the staff and toasting in the sun. Met some lovely guys called Joseph, Ozzy and Senol. They be my friends for the next two weeks ha ha.

So in the weeks I was away I went to this cool market place in the marina. People haggling for clothes, food etc. Interesting experience having 20 Turks in your face trying to sell you the same thing for different prices. Also discovered a booty kickin' rock bar called... *drum roll* ROCK BAR! Great service - songs and cheap drinks! :D

Now for the highlight of the two weeks. EPHESUS!!!

We took a 2 day trip up to see the ancient city of Ephesus and the white cliffs of Pamukkale. This trip was great. We had a far out tour guide called Sam who's a history nut. He's quite memorable for the way he rounds up the tour group he's leading. He loves to get every ones attention with the words "Water Fall!!!". He learned how to talk through an American and actually sounds like one. The more he talks, the more American he sounds and the more he shouts "Water Fall!!!". Don't ask. Anyway onto my trip.

Ephesus is a beautifal scenery of an excavated city. We got to see some fantastic sites like the public library (which was huge), the Theatre and of all things... an ancient Brothel. Sam took us round this great place and gave us a long detailed (and very interesting) historical talk about the sites, statues and buildings we were coming into contact with. Fantastic place. After a few hours of this place we went onto Pamukkale. Have a look in this website here Ephesus website

Pamukkale is a popular tourist drop off in turkey but it's worth it. Apparently (According to Sam) they like to call the place "the white cliffs" because, well they're white as snow. The reason behind this is the water that stream down it is full of calcium and when it dries apparently it goes real hard and very white. I don't know much about this but if you go to this website. this will show you pictures and everything you need to know. It's worth a look or going to see. it's also round the corner from an ancient place called Hierapolis. It's what Sam said is a "place where the Greeks hung out!". It's got some ruins, a huge theatre and some old pools (one I swam in). Anyway I could go on forever about this place but I'm cutting this down short.

So onto the next few days I didn't do much. I sat at the pool side and had some memorable nights out with the guys from the hotel. I got bored to the point where I went in search of a Tattoo artist. I found one in the name of Wish (cool name huh?!). He's a fantastic artist. He shown me some of his work which was amazing. Unfortunately I couldn't afford these ones so I chose a smaller one. He redesigned it for me and drilled it into my arm. He done a great job to say the least.

Unfortunately for me this was my last hours spent in turkey and a few hours I was flying back to Scotland (Booooo!!!!).

THIS is what I did on my holidays. Fantastic Essay isn't it?! :P


Steve

No comments: